I always have a list of things I want to do over the winter season in my head, but this usually fails me because I forget about them all. This year, I'm writing them down.
1. Have a more sustainable season. I want to commit to creating less waste this holiday season. Less food waste, less single use plastics, more experiences and less stuff. My goal is to use recycled paper and second hand fabric to wrap gifts, using flowers and greenery instead of bows. Wear more sweaters and try not to turn the heat up. Consider the sustainablility of the gifts I give. Will they use it, or throw it away in a year? How was it made and how is it packaged? The list goes on but you get the idea.
2. Eat less meat. This is something we have been trying to do as a family, but I feel like with all the visiting and family dinners, it will be very easy to make compromises. Because we aren't vegetarians (yet), we aren't asking our friends and families to make accommodations for our undefined diet, but if we can eat alternatives, we will.
3. DIY decorations. Instead of purchasing decorations which can be expensive and usually made of plastic, I want to try and make our holiday decorations. Some things I want to try are dried citrus wheels, fall leaves and strung popcorn.
4. Try new Christmas recipes. I have never had a lot of time to spend cooking and baking over the holidays but this year I'm looking forward to spending more time trying new recipes and finding favourite to keep for the years to come.
5. Ice skating. It's my favourite. (Bonus if it's outdoors).
6. Hang mistletoe.
7. Do more random acts of kindness.
Did I miss anything? Let me know if this has inspired you to write down your aspirations for the season.